The first St. Paul’s Church was dedicated by Bishop John O’Connor in 1904 for the some 43 adults and 43 children that made up the Roman Catholic population of Ramsey at the time. That year saw the church’s first wedding.
Designed by the architectural firm McKim, Meade, & White as a French Gothic structure (with Stanford White recognized as the primary), the church cost $3,558 to build on a parcel of land costing $533. It was originally considered a mission church under the supervision of St. Luke’s Church of Ho Ho Kus. By 1938 the Archbishop of Newark elevated it to being an autonomous parish.
After St. Paul’s Catholic Church moved to its present location on Wyckoff Avenue the church stood idle for a year before being offered for the use of the Ukrainian community, thus the building became the home of St. Paul’s Ukrainian Catholic parish with the first mass celebrated on December 10th, 1967.
The structure stands today at the corner of Darlington Avenue and Cherry Lane.
Tags: St. Paul's Church