The first high school class (2 students) graduated in 1909 from the school that is now Ramsey’s Borough Hall (There were schools before that in Ramsey, but this was the first full four year High School course approved by State authorities). After that, starting in 1912, the Dater School building (recently torn down) was the high school. But by 1935 more space was needed for Ramsey’s expanding base of students, and a new building was proposed and construction began on January 16th, 1936.
The ‘new Ramsey High School’, from which another group of students will graduate this month, was dedicated in 1937.
The building effort benefited from funding made available through the a Depression era New Deal program called the Public Works Administration.
Today’s high school was recognized in 2008 as the 13th best public school in New Jersey by New Jersey Monthly magazine, and also placed in a Newsweek Magazine analysis as one of the top 500 high schools in the United States.
Visit the High School’s web site at: http://www.ramsey.k12.nj.us/rhs/site/default.asp.
Tags: Ramsey High