Today Don Bosco Preparatory High School occupies some 35 acres off of Franklin Turnpike and provides a Roman Catholic secondary school education for a little over 800 students. The school was founded in 1915 by the Salesian Fathers and Brothers (a Roman Catholic religious order founded by Saint John Bosco) after a fire destroyed the Salesian school in Hawthorne, New York.
The original school was housed in a farmhouse on Franklin Turnpike that had been a summer hotel. The school started as a boarding school for the young men of primarily Polish immigrant families. New sections were added to the school in 1917 and 1921, followed by the construction of Immaculata Hall in 1954 and DeSales Hall in 1969.
Tags: Don Bosco