Depicted is a 1940 post card of a gas station and cabins along Route 2 called Forest Rest. Route 2 was designated from a part of Route 17N back in 1927, the portion of the road running from North Arlington to the New York border. The road name was changed to Route 17 in 1942 based on a defense requirement to match the name of the New York portion of Route 17.
The proprietor, Marie Cotz, is listed on the postcard issued by Mezzo-Tone Post Card Corporation in New York. Note the business’s three digit phone number.
The back of the postcard features an advertisement of the overnight accommodations at Forest Rest: cool, clean, tree-shaded cabins.