This green trolley traveled between Suffern, NY and Ridgewood, NJ, crossing Main Street starting in 1908. Eventually the line would be extended to Paterson.
The rubble stone building next to the trolley still exists today as the Golden Triangle Stamp and Coin (and was for many years a watch repair shop), but started its life as the ticket office and waiting room for the trolley stop. The trolley service started as a private enterprise, but a fatal accident in 1911 resulted in litigation costs that would put the trolley company into receivership. By 1927 the line was taken over by the Public Service System, and closed two years later.
The trolley’s legacy lives on today however, as residents will be familiar with the Eleanor Rooney bike path that runs along the trolley line’s right of way. The bike path is named in honor of a past member of the Ramsey Borough Council.